Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Domestic Disaster

So, it appears I have forgotten my blog.  However, my blog was not forgotten on Memorial Day.  For a cookout I was invited to attend, I decided I would take a dessert.  I am constantly looking at desserts made by the ever talented Carman Young.  If you ever need cake balls, cake pops (which I attempted here), or AMAZING cupcakes look her up!! Check out her Facebook page-- Blue Eyed Baker! :)   Anyway, I asked Carman for a recipe and I began baking.  AND since I'm a new blogger, I had to document the entire afternoon with pictures to post on my blog!

Step ONE: Bake a box cake just like the directions say.  This is my cake halfway through baking......
Step TWO: Let the cake cool completely.  If not, you may burn your hands a little.  Don't ask me how I know.  ;)
Step THREE: Crumble the cake up into a large mixing bowl.  Then you will scoop an entire can of frosting into the bowl and mix the cake and icing all together.  This was a tricky step for me.  It was messy and sticky and took quite a while to do. 
Step FOUR: Next I rolled the cake and frosting mixture into small balls. Looking back on baking this recipe, I think I should've made my cake balls a bit smaller.  They would've stuck together better.  I placed the balls into the freezer to harden for about 30 minutes before I dipped them into chocolate!

Step FIVE: Then, I dipped the cake balls into melted white chocolate.  I wanted to make them more 'festive' so I added the red, white, and blue sprinkles.  These cake balls are NOTHING like Carman's.  Honestly, I was very disappointed in my first attempt at these little babies. 
Step SIX: Finally, I placed the cooled, decorated cake balls onto the center piece I made for this dessert.  Everyone seemed to like them and there weren't many left.  Now I just need to perfect my cake ball decorating skills!


Memorial Day weekend this year was very relaxing.  We spent time at a BBQ, an afternoon at the lake- although not out on the water, and ended with a steak dinner at my parents.  That was as far as the relaxing went though because my summer classes started the next day. 

I'll try to do better at posting now that I've got the swing of BOTH of my classes this summer. 

XOXO*

1 comment:

  1. Girl, if that is a disaster...I wanna see your success!!! It looks FAB and bet they tasted wonderful:) I used Nutella to bind them instead of frosting the other day and they said they were the best chocolate ones yet:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers